Ptolemy identified six levels of fame/success depending on the location and condition of Sun and Moon and their ‘attendants. Unfortunately, although both Hilary Clinton’s ‘luminaries’ have a stunning array of attendants, they are in feminine signs; alone she could reach only Chieftain. However if we were to look at Hilary and her husband, Bill, as a pair, then what she alone lacks to push up up that crucial notch to Kings & Princes, he provides in spades. Beware however that with her Pisces Moon in the terms of Mars, it is likely that Hillary advances herself by dishonest means.
Ptolemy identified six levels of fame/success:
1. Kings & Princes
Both luminaries in masculine signs and at least one of them to be found in an angle. This alone is pretty good. However – as well, they (both) be attended by a doryphory (including rays) composed of all five planets – then this is REAL GOOD. In addition, this rank is helped if the planets in the doryphories are also in the angles or configured with the MC.
The Sun only masculine with the Moon feminine and only one of them in an angle. If both, however, have good doryphories as described above, then the person will reach chieftain level, with the power to judge life and death. NOTE – a good doryphory has benefics in good shape or on angles (or ruling them).
3. Governor or Commander
If the natal chart has the luminaries as for a Chieftain but the doryphories do not involve the angles, these people will not be invested with sovereignty, but will reach eminence.
4. Civil Leader
If neither of the luminaries be in the angles, but both have good doryphories which are in the angles or ruling the angles, they will have a leadership role in their community. Councilor, President of a club, Mayor of a small town and so on.
If neither luminary is in an angle (Sun still masculine and Moon feminine), and the attending planets are not involved with the angles by placement or ruler-ship, then the person will lead a humble life.
6. Lowest Level
If neither luminary be found in a masculine sign, nor in an angle, nor attended by any benefics they will live lives of “quiet desperation” and obscurity.
Analysis of Clinton
How does Hilary Clinton stack up?
- With Sun at 2 Scorpio 19 and the Moon at 22 Pisces 51, neither of the luminaries are in masculine signs. Neither are on an angle and neither is in ruler-ship or exalted. The Moon is dignified by only by triplicity and the Sun remains undignified. With Scorpio rising, neither luminary is the chart ruler. Not so good.
- Doryphory is an interesting technique focusing on the ‘retinue’ of helpers either of the two lights or luminaries (i.e. sun or moon) have in their ‘train’. The more planets in the retinue, the more helpers and if, additionally, those helpers were themselves strong the more help they could give. Imagine yourself a feudal lord trying to raise an army to fight a foe – the stronger and richer the neighbors (i.e. able to raise their own armies) you have supporting your cause, the more likely you were to succeed.
- Note that when considering if a planet throws a ‘ray’ into the doryphory, benefics (Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Mercury, and the Sun) can only do so by sextile or trine and the malefics (Saturn and Mars) can only do so by opposition or square.
- Because the Sun’s retinue PRECEDES him, to determine Clinton’s solar doryphory, we look at planets either in Scorpio (3-30) and Sagittarius.
- Venus in Scorpio – dignified by triplicity and in the terms of Mercury suggests Clinton will not only have rank but her life will go well. Unfortunately this Venus is cadent (ineffective).
- Mercury in Scorpio – undignified but extremely power closely conjunct an angle. Mercury is in the terms of Jupiter and hence Hilary will become great in the field of business and will not only be wise but also mix with famous people. But because Mercury is not in reception with the Sun, it has difficulty sharing its power.
- Jupiter in Sagittarius – very strong in its sign of rulership. It is also dignified by triplicity and term and (because it is a diurnal planet and the Sun is above the horizon), it is thankfully in sect. Although not angular itself, it is in an angular house so this Jupiter is powerful. Because it is in reception with the Sun by triplicity, it gives the Sun all it has to give, which is significant.
- Moon in Pisces casts a ray into Scorpio by trine – the Moon is dignified by triplicity and although not angular is in an angular house which gives it strength. Unfortunately, the Moon is in the terms of Mars and hence suggests that Hillary advances herself by dishonest means.
- Saturn in Leo casts a ray into Scorpio by square – Saturn is dignified by triplicity and also in sect although cadent (ineffective). This suggests that Clinton will not only be the lord of buildings and estates but also have a noble father. Saturn in the terms of Mercury suggests Clinton will rule her father’s home because of her prudence but that she will receive sorrow from her partner and children.
- Mars in Leo casts a ray into Scorpio by square – Mars remains undignified and cadent although it is in sect (being diurnal). Hence although it isn’t particularly helpful it isn’t harmful either and adds numbers to the Sun’s retinue.
- Because the Moon’s doryphory FOLLOWS her, to determine Clinton’s lunar doryphory, we look at planets in Pisces (1-22) and Aquarius.
- Saturn in Leo casts a ray into Aquarius by opposition– as noted earlier, Saturn is in reasonable shape and although fairly ineffective, it adds numbers to the Sun’s retinue which is helpful.
- Jupiter in Sagittarius casts a ray into Aquarius by sextile and we already know how powerful that Jupiter is. Because the Moon is in a sign ruled by Jupiter (Pisces), it is in reception with Jupiter and so Jupiter happily and cheerfully gives the Moon all it has to give which is significant. Even better, the Moon at 22 Pisces is in reception with Jupiter by face and so it happily and cheerfully receives all that Jupiter gives. This is called mutual reception and as you might guess, mutually beneficial.
- The Sun in Scorpio casts a ray into Aquarius by square – and although not particularly strong in its own right, at least the Sun adds numbers to the Moon’s retinue without causing trouble.
- Venus in Scorpio casts a ray into Pisces by trine – and although dignified, is cadent and hence pretty effective. Again it adds numbers to the Moon’s retinue and while not particularly helpful, it does have reception by exaltation and triplicity and hence does what it can without causing trouble.
- Mars in Leo casts a ray into Aquarius by opposition – Mars remains undignified and cadent although it is in sect (being diurnal). Hence although it isn’t particularly helpful it isn’t harmful and again, Mars adds numbers to the Moon’s retinue without causing trouble.
- Mercury in Scorpio casts a ray into Aquarius by square – we already know that although undignified, this Mercury is extremely powerful because it is closely conjunct an angle. Although there is no reception between Mercury and the Moon (and hence they aren’t in close conversation) it can’t help to have such a powerful planet in the retinue.
- A solar doryphory of all six planets is stunning and at least two of them (Mercury and Jupiter) are benefics and extremely powerful. This is very good.
- A lunar doryphory of all six planets is equally stunning and of course Mercury and Jupiter are benefics and both extremely powerful. This is also very good.
However great both the lunar and solar doryphories, Clinton can only rise to the ‘Chieftain’ level because neither of her luminaries is in a masculine sign. However, I propose that if we look at Hilary and Bill as a pair, then his Sun in Leo (masculine and in rulership) along with his extremely powerful Venus in Libra (in rulership and on an angle) not to mention his Mars in Libra (although in detriment and hence damaged, it is closely conjunct an angle and hence powerful), and powerful Moon in Taurus (exalted), might just tip the balance and move her up that one crucial notch to King and Prince.