Attitude is determined by an intellectual decision – a personal judgment – this is right and that is wrong.
Attitude encompasses a person’s behaviour. Do you know someone who is “always right,” about everything? That’s an attitude. Being socially or morally superior is also an attitude: so is being “macho.” A political opinion expresses an attitude, as does complaining about what is wrong with the world. In professional sports, trash-talking has become a way of life. That’s an attitude, as are most of the lyrics in rap music. –Syd Field–The Screenwriters Workbook
By understanding your characters attitude, you can show who he is by his actions and dialogue. Astrologically, attitude can best seen by the placements of Mercury and Mars.
Mercury underlines our mode of expression: thinking, linking the conscious with the unconscious, bringing people together, connecting facts and events.–Karen Hamaker – Zondag
Mercury’s sign also describes about how we communicate and exchange ideas and information. – Liz Greene
Mars tells us how the individual uses his energy and makes his presence felt. Karen Hamaker – Zondag
Mars’ sign shows the way in which you assert yourself: how you go about getting what you want. Liz Greene
For most, Mercury and Mars will not be in the same zodiac sign. For some, they may be an easy aspect (trine or sextile) making the characters attitude more harmonious, easy to depict. For others, they may be in hard aspect (square or opposition) or in no aspect at all. This provides you with the opportunity to demonstrate depth of character – the more tension within, the more tension without.
- Aries: Blurts things out without thinking – acts impulsively – is argumentative – “I can’t be bothered – I don’t care– I’m pissed off.”
- Taurus: Responds slowly and only after due consideration – acts calmly, with caution, is predictable – reserved – “I take things slowly – I play things safe – if you upset my apple cart, you’ll be sorry – never underestimate an angry bull.”
- Gemini: Blabbers on about anything and everything – has trouble focusing, is nervous, restless – “I’m curious, cute, and clever – but don’t bother getting too close ‘cause I won’t be staying that long.”
- Cancer: Like a chameleon, changes with the environment– if peaceful and happy, then positive – if dark and negative, then not – “I’m shy, delicate, a wall flower – I prefer to live in the past – mess with my family, I’ll break your f…ing neck.”
- Leo: Exaggerates about everything– craves attention – presumptuous – defensive – “I’m cool, I’m hip – I’m worthy of your approval – if you don’t give it, I’ll sulk big-time.”
- Virgo: Critical about everything – dissects and discriminates, practical and efficient – doesn’t miss a trick – “I doubt it – You didn’t pay attention – Give it here…can’t you do anything right?”
- Libra: Takes a balanced view– plays devil’s advocate – is superficial – easily disappointed – “That’s nice, but… – that’s not fair… – if you don’t follow the rules, I’ll pack up my stuff and go home.”
- Scorpio: Always sees strings attached – knows just where to stick the stinger – obsessive – secretive – suspicious – “I don’t trust you – you’ll be so, so sorry – I see exactly what you’re trying to do.”
- Sagittarius: Focuses on the future – sees the bigger picture – restless – open minded – frank – “Move west, young man – I said that, really? – OK, let’s go.”
- Capricorn: Speaks shrewdly – gives good advice – systematic – organised – realistic – “Do be serious –God helps those who help themselves – a penny saved is a penny earned.”
- Aquarius: Approaches everything objectively and with detachment – tends to black and white thinking – opinionated – contrary – controversial – “I’ve got a dream – we can do better – off with their heads.”
- Pisces: Vivid imagination – chaotic thinking – intuitive – telepathic – passive aggressive – escapist – “Don’t cry – I’ll take care of it – oh my … surely not tonight?”