According to Bernadette Brady and Darrelyn Gunzburg (AstroLogos), when looking at Solar Return (SR) charts, look only to the tightest (Ptolemaic) aspects (2-3 degrees at most) made by your SR planets to the four SR angles as well as any SR planets falling in the exact degree of the SR nodal axis.
Not only that, but look at the tightest (hard) aspects made by mid/points and the planets they aspect – TIGHT =< 5 minutes of arc. Note – Solar Fire and IO Edition both do Mid-Point Trees reports but if using IO Edition, you’ll also need to use Midpoint & Orb report to get the degree of the midpoint.
Set your SR chart for the location where you are currently living. Avoid the temptation to use ‘holiday locations’ – this won’t give as reliable a result.
One last thing to remember – the SR return chart is a snapshot of a 12 month period – this energy is not going to last forever. That doesn’t mean that things that may seriously impact the rest of your life won’t happen during the period. It does mean that you can’t dot every ‘i’ and cross every ‘t’. Predictive work like this is meant to provide a sketch not a fully finished picture. Besides, if you pay close attention to the direction in which things look headed, you might be able to significantly alter/control how it all turns out.
How might this work out for me for my upcoming SR chart 2017-18 (Bernadette and Darrelyn already did an amazing job at call the shots for my SR return 2016-17 which will be ending in the next couple of months).
In Summary – it will be a confusing yet potentially very creative and inspiring year during which I’ll be overhauling not only who I am but how I relate to others – both those with whom I have a closer relationship (personal and business) and the whole of mankind. If that sounds like a tall order, it is and I need to make certain I don’t get lost in the excitement of it – there’s real possibility as well as some not so realistic stuff too. Perfect for my starting my new career as a life coach and embarking on my formal coaching program at the University of Cambridge.
- There are no planets on (conjunct) the angles (Ascendant/Descendant and MC/IC).
- There are no planets in the exact degree of the nodal axis (23) – although Saturn is close at 22, no cigar.
- Neptune (12 Pisces) makes a square to the MC (13 Sag) – suggesting confusion about status and career. Because Neptune is in the 1st house in this SR chart, the confusion is coming not from outside, but within me. The 1st house suggests that whilst I’m proactive with my status/career, it’s all a bit of a fog. It also suggests a personal commitment to becoming a synergistic part of the ‘larger whole’ – this is potentially a very creative place to be and it makes sense. I’m starting my new career as a life coach (having just retired from 30 years as a lawyer) and attending my first year in the Coaching program at the University of Cambridge. I don’t yet have a good grasp on my talents and abilities in this new career. I also don’t have a good idea what will be required of me. The good news is that Saturn (22 Sag) is also making a sextile to my Ascendant (19 Aquarius) and so at least I’ve got a good container or foundation in place to help with this career transition and I’m willing to make the commitment (Saturn is the SR chart ruler and in the 10th house of career) to hard work.
- The (tightest) midpoints that I need to consider (don’t use those involving something itself involving an angle like, for example, the Part of Fortune) are:
- Sun/Venus (22 Virgo 03) to my Saturn (22 Sag 04) – suggesting seriousness and loyalty in relationships. This might be a heavy (yet profitable) year for my marriage and also my business (client) relationships. I need to make certain that I don’t feel too self-conscious when things might go wrong – it won’t help if I end up focusing on others at the expense of my own self-esteem.
- Uranus/Neptune (4 Aries 49) to my Sun (4 Libra 45) – suggesting that I will develop a unique and original understanding of, and sympathy with, what it means to be human. This in turn requires refinement of my own special talents in a way encourages greater consciousness and brings hidden truths to light (good for coaching!)
- Jupiter/Neptune (4 Capricorn 46) to my Sun (4 Libra 45) – suggesting a rich imagination and enthusiasm for all possibilities for the future (good for starting a new career and also in developing a new and inspired approach to coaching) – just don’t get carried away and spend too much time and energy on that which is unrealistic and/or unattainable. Good advice! Now just make sure that I follow it.